It’s Open Access Week, a time to recognize a growing movement intent on making Open Access licensing the publishing default in academic research. De Gruyter EBooks is a Library online resource providing access to recent German titles, including 2021 Open Access titles. Select a subject category in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen, filter for Open Access and English language, and you will find books and articles on topics such as Architecture and Design, Arts, Asian and Pacific Studies, Classical and Ancient Near Eastern Studies, and many more. You can find the De Gruyter resource in the Library’s A-Z Databases list.
German publisher De Gruyter has a long history of treating knowledge as a public good and not a commodity whose benefits are reserved for those who can afford it. The roots of the company go back to 1749 when Frederick the Great granted patronage to the company that later became De Gruyter “to publish good and useful books.” More recently, De Gruyter has joined the international Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA).
The Library’s subscription offers access to De Gruyter 2021 e-books and e-journals, including many Open Access titles. The list includes titles from:
- Yale University Press
- Harvard University Press
- University of Pennsylvania Press
- University of Chicago Press (also 2020)
- University of California Press
- Stanford University Press
- Princeton University Press
- New York University Press
Searching the database by title, author, keyword, subject, publisher, ISBN, DOI, or full text will give you one-click downloads of single chapters or complete e-books, all in PDF or EPUB format, including Open Access books and articles which De Gruyter publishes yearly in humanities, sciences, technology, medicine, and social sciences. As one of the largest independent academic publishers of open access books, De Gruyter combines vast experience with a commitment to furthering developments in open publishing:
- Sound peer review, rigorous editorial practices, and high-quality author services.
- Dedication to authors’ individual needs.
- The best possible dissemination and visibility, publishing all open access books with a Creative Commons license.
- Compliance with research funder requirements.
- Offering freely available e-books also in a high-quality print editions.
De Gruyter is dedicated to implementing innovative and sustainable funding models for Open Access publishing, and working with academic libraries and research funders to develop new funding models, thus allowing more authors to publish in open access independently from their personal funds and institutional affiliation.