Summer is always a quieter period in the UVA Library, but we know it’s a critical time for making progress on research! Additionally, various special events take place during the summer which affect Library operations in small ways, and some academic programs begin early… so we’re ready to help you get what you need!
Beginning Monday, June 7: The biggest change for summer 2021 is that Clemons Library, and Special Collections appointments, are now open to the public.
For anyone visiting Library spaces:
- Requests for Library books must be submitted in advance. Read more about services for Community Patrons, and the request process. No in-person book browsing is currently available, and staff are unable to retrieve items “on demand”.
- You are welcome to study/read, use public computers, and browse DVDs.
- The Library stacks are not available this summer, but all patrons can now request items for pickup at Clemons Library.
- LEO Mobile (item pickup at the Central Grounds Parking Garage) is available to undergraduate and grad students, as well as faculty and staff, through the summer! This service has never before been extended to undergrads and we’re happy to be able to offer it. Learn how to make a request in Virgo.
Clemons Library open to all; Special Collections open by appointment
Masks optional for fully vaccinated patrons: Vaccinated patrons are no longer required to use facial coverings. If you are unvaccinated, masks remain required.
If you have an appointment in Special Collections, you’ll need to leave ALL drinks outside the Reading Room before you enter.
Access to Collections
- Digital access continues:Our expanded access to digital items through HathiTrust ETAS will continue through the Summer, meaning millions of additional items are now available digitally through Virgo.
- Stacks closed to public:As long as the HathiTrust ETAS service is available, we are not able to provide direct browsing access to the Stacks. If conditions around the pandemic allow, this may change in fall 2021, so stay tuned! Read more in COVID-19 FAQ.
- Item pickup now available for all:Our request services continue through the summer. ALL patrons, including members of the public, can now use their Virgo login to request items for pickup in Clemons. Faculty, staff, graduate, and undergraduate students may also request “LEO Mobile” pickup at the Central Grounds Parking Garage.
Most checked-out items have now been renewed: sign in to Virgo to see new due dates. Most items are now due August 27, 2021, or later. Note that some specialty items cannot be renewed so check your Virgo account to confirm all due dates.
Ask a Librarian web chat is offering extended hours all summer long! Ask a Librarian summer hours are:
- Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m
- Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Closed Saturday
- Sunday: 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
FAQ is available on the Ask a Librarian page if you need help during off hours.
Please don’t hesitate to ask if you don’t see what you need or need help with a Library service. We’re here to help!
The post above was updated on May 17 to correspond with UVA’s Health and Safety Requirements around facial coverings, and again on June 4 after UVA opened Grounds to community users and visitors.