Spring 2021 at UVA is shaping up to be very similar to fall and, as ever, the Library is here to help. Here are some basics for ways to get what you need… and when in doubt Ask a Librarian!
Information below should be applicable for most, if not all, of spring semester, but it’s true that events like severe weather or COVID precautions may change Library operations in unanticipated ways. Bookmark the Status Dashboard for to-the-moment updates, all semester long.
Access to Collections
Most importantly… Start with Virgo! If an item is digital, the link is in Virgo. If the item is physical, Virgo is where you make a request.
Stacks will remain closed to the public for spring semester. This enables us to continue to offer millions of digital items through the HathiTrust ETAS service — available from anywhere!
- To access Library materials, start your search in Virgo.
- For most items, if they aren’t available online, they’re available for pickup! Find your item in Virgo, make a request, and you’ll get an email when it’s ready. You can it pick up any time during business hours. It’s like library takeout!
- Pickup is available at Brown and Clemons for all members of the UVA community, and faculty and graduate students can also request “LEO Mobile”, which delivers to the Central Grounds Parking Garage. You’ll specify your pickup location at the time you make your request.
- Unfortunately, LEO delivery to departments will not be available this semester because of departmental limitations.
- Interlibrary Loan is functional, but the number of institutions able to participate is limited.
- Special Collections is offering reference support through their Online Reference Request form, and UVA students, faculty, and staff can sign up for in-person research by appointment.
Access to Spaces
Beginning February 1, Brown and Clemons study spaces are open! Bring your mask and your UVA ID to study, ask questions, and enjoy socially-distanced camaraderie.
Library stacks will not open to the public in spring 2021.
The fine print…
- Unfortunately, NO FOOD or drinks (except a personal water bottle) are allowed in Library spaces, to minimize potential COVID exposure.
- Carry your UVA ID when you’re on Grounds. You’ll need it for most UVA spaces, and at the library you’ll need to show it at the door — no exceptions.
- Masks MUST be worn at all times when indoors.
- Library spaces will shut down as needed for non-compliance in accordance with the safety guidelines above.
- Occupancy limits are in place and, for safety’s sake, we cannot allow more patrons through the door when a building reaches capacity.
The most important thing to know is that we want to help! Ask a Librarian, and they’ll find what you need or connect you to a person who can.
- Subject Liaisons are a powerful resource for subject-specific assistance. Liaisons can help you brainstorm methods for alternative access, help secure much-needed research materials, and connect you to resources for your classroom. They know all of the tricks of the trade! Find your subject liaison now.
- Our staff is fully available to you, even if we’re working remotely. Scholars’ Lab, Research and Data Services, and so many more, are at the ready. Not sure where to start? Ask a Librarian!
- The Teaching and Learning team can provide classroom support for specialized sessions, A/V needs, pedagogical support, and much more. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.